No new update on Frankie fire

By Sulamanaia Manaui Faulalo 20 February 2026, 8:00PM
It has been two weeks since the fire that destroyed the Frankie Hypermarket in Vaitele, and there have been no new updates on the investigation, Fire Commissioner Tanuvasa Petone Mauga said.

The Fire and Emergency Services Authority (FESA) confirmed that a report had been submitted but was returned to the investigating team for clarification.

“The report that was given to me, I’ve had to send back to those who are in the investigative team,” Tanuvasa said. “There were parts in the report that needed to be clear, regarding the time and observations from the people.”

When asked whether arson was being considered, he said: “No, not at this stage, there is nothing like that so far in the report that we have.” He added again that nothing has been confirmed.

Responding to questions about an earlier indication that investigations could take between five and 10 days, the commissioner said the timeframe was only a guide and that some aspects required further review.

“When you look at the whole operation, it is big, and there were also emergencies that came up,” he said, referring to the Moatoga Warehouse fire that occurred during the same period, which has also been confirmed, and the investigation remains underway.

Regarding the lingering odour from the building affecting residents and the young students of Saina Toamua Primary School, Tanuvasa said Frankie is in charge of the site and that FESA only oversees the building's "physical" safety.

“On Saturday and Friday last week, we were with Frankie, and the site has been handed over to Frankie,” he said. He said FESA had advised the company to exercise caution and ensure public safety remains a priority.

“We advise that they should be cautious and the safety of people should always be prioritised,” he said.

The commissioner said items such as freezers and meats had been removed from the site last Saturday. He noted that residue, including "juice" left over from fridges and other chemicals, remained, and that rainfall may have contributed to ongoing odours.

“I’m sure all meats were taken out of the freezers on the Saturday that has just passed,” he said. Questions sent to the Director General of Health, June Scanlan Lui, had received no response as of Wednesday. Phone calls to Frankie's director, Frankie Cai, went unanswered as of press time. Emailed questions to Vitovaomanaia Mayday Cai had not received a response as of Thursday.



By Sulamanaia Manaui Faulalo 20 February 2026, 8:00PM
Samoa Observer

Upgrade to Premium

Subscribe to
Samoa Observer Online

Enjoy unlimited access to all our articles on any device + free trial to e-Edition. You can cancel anytime.

>