Close to 70 people have been driving under the influence (D.U.I.) since the Ministry of Police launched its speed racers operation last month.
This was confirmed by the Police.
“Given the increase in number of drivers driving vehicle under the influence of alcohol road blocks will continue in the next coming months,” a Police statement said.
“Police also will proceed to request the Courts for serious penalties to be issued to these irresponsible drivers.”
Last week, the Police recorded 17 D.U.I., three of which drivers were charged with refusal to comply with lawful requirement for breathalyser test.
“Five were charged with giving false information to traffic officers; one reckless driving and four were charged for careless driving.
“Most of those charged by Police were a result of a road block that was carried out on Friday night in collaboration with traffic officers from the Lands and Transport Authority.”
The statement said the joint road block is an effort to deter drink driving as well as monitoring traffic violations.